**Applications closed** Do you have excellent writing skills and the ability to translate science into engaging content for a general audience? Are you looking for your next challenge in science communication? Then we have an exciting opportunity for you for a temporary cover (1 February until 30 April 2024)!
Working as part of the EJR-Quartz communications service team for the European Space Agency (ESA), you will be based onsite at ESA’s European Centre for Space Applications and Telecommunications (ECSAT), located at the Harwell Campus for Science and Innovation in the UK.
The successful candidate will have:
- A degree in communication, journalism or science/engineering
- Minimum of two years’ professional experience in writing and editing, preferably for a communications team of a large international organisation.
- The ability to present ideas and recommendations persuasively in writing and verbally, geared towards the general public
- An excellent grasp of the English language (native or equivalent), with an exceptional eye for detail
- The capacity to conduct interviews in written, audio or video format.
- Experience of working in compliance with corporate guidelines to create accurate, compelling copy.
- A proactive approach to managing projects and the ability to work under pressure and with tight deadlines
- Great communication and networking skills
- The ability to help plan and implement communication strategies
We also value:
- Knowledge of European Space Programmes
- Knowledge of another European language
The fine print
As part of our larger EJR-Quartz for ESA team, you will be working together with other editors on ESA’s communication activities.
Your tasks will include to:
- Create content for publication on the main ESA corporate communications portal. The content must be accessible to the general public and includes web articles, as well as images and videos.
- Create social media posts for the @EsaTelecoms Twitter account that could extend to other social media platforms as necessary.
- Conduct research into the topics to be covered, working with colleagues in the Directorate of Connectivity and Secure Communications to identify news-worthy content that can be created in a timely fashion.
- Create and edit the content to ensure the high quality of its language and narrative structure, and to ensure it complies with the ESA corporate communications style guide.
- Ensure that all content is approved by the relevant stakeholders
- Help external partners that seek to issue their own press releases by providing content, such as a quote from the Director of Connectivity and Secure Communications.
- Upload approved content into the content management system
- Run the @EsaTelecoms X (formally Twitter) account and coordinate with other relevant social media accounts.
- Curate the telecommunications section of the main ESA corporate communications portal
- Help to identify how the Directorate of Connectivity and Secure Communications can contribute to ESA-wide corporate communications initiatives and create the content as needed.
- Support colleagues as necessary in ESA-wide corporate communications, including creating content for press releases and ESA Web TV
- Attend editorial and other meetings as required
Does this sound like you? Tell us why you think you’re the right fit for this exciting role by sending your CV and cover letter to: email@example.com or reach out via social media to @ejrquartz
You’ll find us on Twitter, Instagram and LinkedIn.
The successful candidate will be under contract with EJR-Quartz BV in the Netherlands. Candidates must be eligible to live and work in the United Kingdom. This contract is temporary for 3 months with the possibility of renewal, starting on 1 February 2024.
Salary: £3800-4200 gross for a full-time position (40 h/week), depending on experience
Starting date: 1 February 2024
EJR-Quartz is an international company specialised in science communication, particularly related to space. Our multinational team of digital content specialists is spread across five European countries, serving a number of clients, mainly in the aerospace sector.
Like every good company, EJR-Quartz is all about people. We are very proud of our employees and the fact that we have such a diverse team of highly dedicated staff. As an equal opportunity employer our team brings together a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and skills and we firmly believe that the more inclusive we are, the better our work will be.
Learn more about our company and meet the team at: www.ejr-quartz.com
(Banner: ESA’s ECSAT facility in Harwell, UK. Credit: ESA)