EJR-Quartz has an immediate opening for a mother-tongue English writer/editor able to present scientific and technical topics in a style accessible for general public. The position is full-time for EJR-Quartz under contract to the European Space Agency, based on site at ESA’s Earth Observation Centre in Frascati, Italy.
ESA’s Applications domain includes the Directorates of Earth Observation, Navigation and Telecommunications. Working within the News and Content Office of the Communication Department, the Applications Editor will write and edit content on relevant topics for ESA’s online channels.
The successful candidate will have:
- Mother-tongue English
- An Honours degree in science, engineering or communications/journalism
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in writing and editing
- Demonstrable experience in presenting scientific and technical subjects in a style accessible for general public
- Familiarity with Earth Observation, Navigation and Telecommunications topics an advantage
- Experience scripting and producing video, including live interview and presenting
Working under the ‘Application Domain Communication officer’ within the “News and contents office” the Application domain editor will write, edit and publish articles and other text specific to Applications in mother-tongue English for the ESA Portal, online and hardcopy publications, as well as video, web-TV productions, exhibitions and other media. This will include script-writing and production support for video clips, animations and images/graphics for social media. This may also include on-camera presentation and interviews.
The Applications editor will:
- Support the DCO in developing content and ensure the timely publication of articles on the ESA Portal;
- Ensure coordination of content with scientists and other external and internal experts to ensure that content and messages passed are correct and coherent;
- Take care of internal coordination and approvals together with the DCO or the respective point of contact within the communication team and/or the relevant directorate(s);
- Integrate, structure and build the articles in the ESA content management system;
- Contribute to the writing and editing of text required for other products for other media, including hardcopy publications, videos, blogs, exhibition panels, posters and brochures. This shall be done in close cooperation with the responsible production coordinator;
- Prepare storyboards for video production of the images of the week and other in-house video productions;
- Conduct interviews and other relevant video production for ESA’s video channel(s) in close coordination with the “video and visual production unit”;
- Research images and their content in order to write accurate captions;
- Ensure that all material is written according to with the ESA editorial house style;
- Ensure that all material has been approved by the relevant ESA authority according to agreed approval processes;
- Liaise with the relevant production and ESA social media teams for dissemination;
- Participate in ESA publishing/editorial meetings as required.
The successful candidate will be employed directly by EJR-Quartz srl, under contract to ESA. An Italian residence and work permit is obligatory. This is a nine-month contract, with possibility of renewal. The start date is 1 April.
Closing date Applications Editor: 15 March 2018
Learn more about our company and meet the team at: www.ejr-quartz.com
If you think this is for you, tell us why you’d like to join our team. Please send your cover letter, CV and references to: email@example.com